Skip to content


Can you send us a playlist?

I don’t usually work from a playlist. I prefer to pick the songs I am going to play at the time of the performance. This enables me to select material that matches the mood and the ambience of the event.

You can see a list of songs I play on the repertoire page.

Can we request a few songs?

Yes, most definitely. A few requests is fine. Just let me know the songs you wish me to play before your event and I’ll make sure that I play them on the day.

Is it necessary to meet up with you before the event?

This isn’t necessary as nearly everything has to be sorted out on the day of the event. No meeting beforehand can really help with the decisions that have to be made on the day. Music for ceremonies and other requests can usually be sorted out by email or telephone.

What if the venue doesn’t have a piano?

In situations like this I usually bring one of my digital pianos which can even be used outside. My digital pianos are ideal when playing for events that require music in more than one location. I can usually relocate and set up within twenty minutes or set up piano in one location and set up another somewhere else. If I set up two pianos I can just move from one to the other without a there being too much of a break in the music. Please note that I don’t charge any extra for bring a digital piano with me to an event.

Does a digital piano sound as good as a proper piano?

It does depend on the quality of the proper piano that you are comparing the digital piano with. A digital piano is nearly always better than the piano that you will find at a venue. You can hear the quality of the instrument I would bring by listening or downloading the music on this site.

Does a digital piano look like a normal piano?

The digital piano that I usually use doesn’t really look like an acoustic piano, but it definitely does look neat and tidy. I can provide the normal digital piano free of charge, but if you are looking for something more like a real instrument I can now offer a baby grand piano shell for an additional charge of £80. The regular digital piano and the baby grand piano shell are both shown below:

Is there a chance that your piano or other equipment may break down on the day?

I usually bring a spare piano with me and I always have all my other equipment backed up with spares. I have very seldom had an amplifier, piano or anything else fail on me at an event, but if it ever does happen I am always prepared.

How much space do you need?

As a solo pianist, using my regular digital piano, I can fit into the tiniest of spaces – a space of 1 metre X 1.5 metres being more than adequate. As a duo (piano and bass or piano and vocals) we would only need an additional 1 square metre which brings the performance area needed up to a meagre 1 metre X 2.5 metres.

What Happens When You Take A Break?

This isn’t usually a problem as I usually have a CD player or MP3 player with me which I can plug into one of my compact PA systems.

Do you need some sort of cover if you are playing outside?

Protection from the elements is vital. The heat from the sun can be very harmful to electronic equipment and a sudden downpour could be disastrous. I can provide a gazebo for outside protection which is more than adequate for most situations.

So How Much Will It Cost?

Prices are from £250 depending on distance from venue and other requirements. Please contact me for a quote for your individual requirements.

How do I secure the booking?

After I’ve given you a quote and presuming that you have decided to go ahead with the booking: I’ll send you a contract. In order to send you this contract I need to make sure that I have all following information:

The type of event (Wedding, engagement party, corporate dinner etc.)

The date of the event

The address of the venue including postcode

A start time and a finish time

A contact number for if I have any queries

On the day emergency contact number (best man’s mobile or similar)

Dress code (lounge suit, black tie etc.)

Any other requirements (music for ceremony, gazebo, radio microphone for speeches, extra long extension lead etc.)

Do you take a deposit?

Yes I do. After you have confirmed, I’ll send an invoice for a deposit of approximately 33% of the full fee.

How do I pay the balance?

I’ll send you an invoice for the remaining balance and you can pay on the day of the event by either cash, cheque or by BACs.  

Is it OK to pay you beforehand just to get it out-of-the-way?

If this is that’s what you prefer then its OK with me.

Can I hear you play live?

Throughout the year I do play for quite a few events that are public, but most of the work that I do consists of weddings, corporate events and private parties.

What about Public Liability insurance?

I have public liability insurance which is provided by Hencilla Canworth.

Could I ask, in the interest of safety, that all children are kept out of the performance area. Also, they do like to twiddle knobs and press buttons which can make things very difficult for me.

Is your electrical equipment PAT Tested for safety?

Yes all my equipment has been tested by a qualified electrical engineer. My PAT Test Certificate can be viewed or downloaded at the end of this short section.

A PAT test certificate is not a legal requirement, but some venues like to see one. My PAT Test certificate proves that my power leads are tested for safety and only provides half the story. There is no real point in me providing proof that my equipment is safe if the power supply provided by the venue isn’t. Electrical sockets in historic venues are frequently damaged or do not work.

A venue should provide a power supply socket of the 13 amp type (to BS 1363). It goes without saying that all power sources should be electrically safe and conform to the HSE EAW Act 1989, and amendments thereafter. Copies of venue Electrical Installation Safety Certificate (Periodic Inspection Report to NIC EIC standards) should be made available upon request by law.

Please note that if a venue requests a copy of a PAT test certificate from a musician or entertainer, it is customary for them to provide a copy of their Electrical Installation Safety Certificate, and is illegal not to provide one if requested to do so.

If for whatever reason the venue cannot provide an Electrical Installation Safety Certificate, then I can do an ‘on the spot’ test. Firstly I would make a visual inspection of the socket making sure that it has been installed correctly and that there is nothing loose or damaged. After the preliminary inspection I would then use a professional socket tester which will give me either an ‘OK’ reading or give me a diagnosis of the problem. If the socket gives me an ‘OK’ reading, I would then plug something like a household light into the socket as a final check before plugging my keyboard or any other valuable equipment into the power supply.